Athlete of the Month

Athlete of the Month

All of us who work out here at Mission CrossFit SA train hard. We are all on our own journey in pursuit of a higher level of fitness, health and ultimately, life. It is not an easy journey, but it’s worth it. It requires hard work, sweat, discipline, and perseverance. The journey is filled with challenges, obstacles, and sometimes-even setbacks. And although every person’s road is unique, it is not a solo endeavor. We are in the pursuit of fitness together. Like a team, when a person is knocked down, the group responds by picking them up. Equally as important, when someone succeeds, their accomplishments are enjoyed and celebrated by the whole. To that end, every month, one person will be recognized for their outstanding achievements in fitness, whether they are in or out of the box.

This page is dedicated to that individual who portrays what CrossFit is at Mission CrossFit SA. It is someone who pushes hard, never gives up and wants to accomplish something each day they step foot inside our gym. They are chosen by their peers and lead by example. The athlete doesn’t necessarily lift the most amount of weight, or win every WOD, but instead they have passion and desire for what their individual goal is. Work hard, everyone is always paying attention, and you could be next!

Athlete of The Month – March 2014

Name: Adam Weber

Started CrossFit: April 2012

Favorite WOD: Grace, Karen, Helen

Least Favorite WOD: Fran, Diane

Favorite Lift: Snatch

Least Favorite Lift: HSPU and/or chest-to-bar

Story: After moving to San Antonio from New York, I was desperate to get back into shape. After college, I spent more time in front of a computer and not enough time working out, so I ended up gaining about 20 pounds. I came to MCFSA for the first time one unlucky Sunday afternoon and got my butt kicked. But I knew right away that MCFSA was exactly what needed–an intense workout with awesome coaches and other great athletes to push me along the way. I can’t believe its been almost two years since I started, but I want to thank all the coaches and members of MCFSA. All of you have helped me make lots of progress and I couldn’t be a bigger promoter of crossfit and MCFSA. Thanks everyone!

March 2014 Athlete of the Month – Adam Weber

If you’ve ever been to the 6:30 AM class, you’ll know Adam Weber.  You’d know a couple things about Adam if you’ve been around him at all.  First… He’s loud.  But a kind of loud that creates a very loose atmosphere at the gym for everyone attending class.  The other thing you’d see is a person who is very serious about his training and has a relentless work ethic despite being a bit of a jokester around the gym.  He’s made HUGE gains since he first stepped in our door and now participates in our Competition Program.  Congrats Adam and thanks for being an integral part of our gym!

Athlete of The Month – March 2014

Name: Adam Weber

Favorite WOD: Grace, Karen, Helen

Least Favorite WOD: Fran, Diane

Least Favorite Lift: HSPU and/or chest-to-bar

Story: After moving to San Antonio from New York, I was desperate to get back into shape. After college, I spent more time in front of a computer and not enough time working out, so I ended up gaining about 20 pounds. I came to MCFSA for the first time one unlucky Sunday afternoon and got my butt kicked. But I knew right away that MCFSA was exactly what needed–an intense workout with awesome coaches and other great athletes to push me along the way. I can’t believe its been almost two years since I started, but I want to thank all the coaches and members of MCFSA. All of you have helped me make lots of progress and I couldn’t be a bigger promoter of crossfit and MCFSA. Thanks everyone!

WARM UP

200m Run

3 Rounds:

15 Air Squats

5 Inch Worms + 2 Pushups

20 Split Squat Jumps

SKILL

3×6 (each side) Alternating Knee to Elbow

WOD

3x 4 Min AMRAP w/4 Min Rest

10 DL (115/75) (Rx+ 135/95)

10 Burpees

8 Power Cleans

8 Burpees

6 Shoulder to Overhead

6 Burpees

4 Power Snatches

4 Burpees

February 2014 Athlete of the Month – John Chisolm

Congratulations to John Chisolm for being selected as our February 2014 Athlete of the Month!  John has showed incredible dedication over the past few months and has really come a long ways since his first day in the gym. His lifts have gone up significantly and endurance is much improved since starting at the gym.  Here’s a little bit about John along with his story:

Name: John Chisholm

Favorite WOD: I like the ones with a lot of varied movements

Least Favorite WOD: Any with wall ball shots (they’re just evil)

Least Favorite Lift: Overhead Squat

Story:   Things had gotten completely out of control!

Somehow I found myself weighing more than I ever had in my life.  I crossed a line I never thought I would see, much less blow through. My health was noticeably deteriorating and I was struggling to actively play with my kids.  I had tried to be a runner but just could not get hooked. I had to find a way to take back my life. I saw y’all working out at the first location by Lincoln Heights and was intrigued. Talked to a few folks and read a lot about Crossfit. I wanted to try it. My wife insisted I get a physical and permission from my doctor first. I told my doctor what I wanted to do and he said Crossfit has going to “kick my butt”. Little did I know how right he was. Participated in the first class and just felt this was for me. It was challenging, intense and a little bit fun. The coaches and people where so helpful, I was hooked. The first year I lost a substantial amount of weight, improved my diet and increase my ability to move.  I could actively participate in sports with my kids like never before. They are proud of my accomplishments.  Working out here at Mission Crossfit SA has been a huge improvement in my life. The atmosphere and support from all is tremendous.

Athlete of The Month – January 2014

Name: Sergio Fernandez

Started CrossFit: June 2013

Favorite WOD: Ladder WOD’s or anything heavy.

Least Favorite WOD: Karen

Least Favorite Lift: Jerk

Story: I’ve played competitive soccer almost all of my life. Due to some unfortunate injuries I had to quit after my first two years of college. Since then fitness always seemed to take a back seat, until a friend introduced me to CrossFit. My first workout was Karen, and needless to say I couldn’t walk for a week afterwards, but I enjoyed the challenge and decided CrossFit was for me.
Nowadays my goal is simply to find my limit (still not there), and I have everyone at Mission to thank. Look forward to sharing many more PR’s!!
DSC_0059

Athlete of the Month – January 2014 – Sergio Fernandez

Those of you who train in the evening have more than likely seen Coach Junior train his Whataburger group.  This month’s Athlete of the Month got his start in that class and has gone on to training alongside some of our best athletes in the gym.  He’s certainly been a great athlete from the day he walked in the door, but his work ethic since that day his been unwavering.  His numbers continue to get better and better and he is always pushing himself and other around him to improve.  Congrats Sergio!  Keep on hitting those PR’s!

ATHLETE OF THE MONTH – January 2014

Name: Sergio Fernandez

Started CrossFit: June 2013

Favorite WOD: Ladder WOD’s or anything heavy.

Least Favorite WOD: Karen

Least Favorite Lift: Jerk

Story: I’ve played competitive soccer almost all of my life. Due to some unfortunate injuries I had to quit after my first two years of college. Since then fitness always seemed to take a back seat, until a friend introduced me to CrossFit. My first workout was Karen, and needless to say I couldn’t walk for a week afterwards, but I enjoyed the challenge and decided CrossFit was for me.
Nowadays my goal is simply to find my limit (still not there), and I have everyone at Mission to thank. Look forward to sharing many more PR’s!!
DSC_0059

DECEMBER ATHLETE OF THE MONTH: KATIE HERRERA

This month’s athlete of the month is KATIE HERRERA.  She usually comes in to the early morning classes (5/5:30AM) but also visits the occasional evening class.  Katie is one of those athletes who has made huge gains in a very short period of time.  Most recently, she completed the Whole Life Challenge and saw some great results both in body changes and in her WODs and lifts.  She’s one of the most motivated athletes we have a the gym with a hunger to continue to improve in all areas of CrossFit.  Great job Katie!!!  Keep up the good work!

Athlete of The Month – December 2013

Name: Katie Hererra

Started CrossFit: July 2013

Favorite WOD: Snatch and clean ladder, death by clean and jerk, anything with squatting, kettle bells, or box jumps

Least Favorite WOD: Any WOD involving burpees…

Favorite Lift: Snatch and any kind of squat cleans

Least Favorite Lift: Push Press

Story: I never thought I would join CrossFit. I only joined because my husband promised he would get up and workout with me every morning at 5:30am. I fully anticipated him giving up in a month and going back to my usual routine of running and going to the gym. From the first elements class with Beth, however, I started to realize I could really love CrossFit. I’m competitive by nature but not the top athlete. In class, everyone was really encouraging even when I was consistently finishing at the end of every time limit! I must have watched Rudy too much as a kid because I believe that wanting to be better and pushing yourself everyday can make you better. I’ve applied that principle to CrossFit and am slowly seeing some improvement. I love that all the coaches will constantly push me beyond what I thought was capable of and will always give me ways to keep improving.
Beth encouraged me to try Barbell Prep with Nick and I’m so glad she did. It was awesome to get more coaching around lifts I’m still struggling to perfect. I also am really glad Beth mentioned the Whole Life Challenge because it made a huge difference for me. I finally lost weight I’d been holding onto for a year and am excited to keep making gains and hopefully some more losses on the scale.
I have a ton of CrossFit goals set for myself and am motivated to come in every morning to keep pushing myself (and to make sure I can beat my husband in most WODs). I’m so grateful to all the coaches (especially Beth) for not letting me get away with giving anything less than 100% and to my husband for convincing me that I should give CrossFit a try.
dsc_0023

WARM UP

Line Jumps

:30 Drills

Barbell Warmup

SKILL

10 min to Work Up to Max in the Following Complex:

Hip Clean + Hang Clean + Hang Clean 2” Off Ground

then…

2×1 @ 80% of that complex

WOD

“JT”