Athlete of the Month

Athlete of the Month

All of us who work out here at Mission CrossFit SA train hard. We are all on our own journey in pursuit of a higher level of fitness, health and ultimately, life. It is not an easy journey, but it’s worth it. It requires hard work, sweat, discipline, and perseverance. The journey is filled with challenges, obstacles, and sometimes-even setbacks. And although every person’s road is unique, it is not a solo endeavor. We are in the pursuit of fitness together. Like a team, when a person is knocked down, the group responds by picking them up. Equally as important, when someone succeeds, their accomplishments are enjoyed and celebrated by the whole. To that end, every month, one person will be recognized for their outstanding achievements in fitness, whether they are in or out of the box.

This page is dedicated to that individual who portrays what CrossFit is at Mission CrossFit SA. It is someone who pushes hard, never gives up and wants to accomplish something each day they step foot inside our gym. They are chosen by their peers and lead by example. The athlete doesn’t necessarily lift the most amount of weight, or win every WOD, but instead they have passion and desire for what their individual goal is. Work hard, everyone is always paying attention, and you could be next!

SEPTEMBER 2016 ATHLETE OF THE MONTH – CRYSTAL CORONADO

Congratulations to Crystal Coronado for being selected as September’s Athlete of the Month! After years of going to the gym taking a number of different type of classes, trying to find her fix, she eventually stopped going.  Her drive and desire had slowed down and needed something new.  Crystal heard about this thing called “CrossFit” and was intrigued by the intense workouts thinking it could be something she would enjoy.  Soon after, Crystal joined the CrossFit community and she fell in love. You can see her almost every day working her tail off always wanting to do more. For those reasons and many more, she is certainly deserving of the title “Athlete of the Month.”

Name: Crystal Coronado

Started Crossfit: May 2015

Favorite WOD: Chipper & Anything that involves a partner

Least Favorite WOD: Anything with burpees and thrusters (especially when they’re together)

Favorite Lift: Power cleans

Least Favorite Lift: Snatches because they hate me

Story:

Before Crossfit, I had a gym membership that I slowly stopped using over the years. While at this gym, my workouts consisted primarily of running (weights here and there). I had tried all their classes from kickboxing to spinning classes (even hot yoga) but it was always the same workout. This was the reason I eventually stopped going, I was bored and I no longer had the self-will to go. However I still kept at those runs and “semi-healthy” eating so that I could maintain a “healthy weight” but as I’ve gotten older my metabolism has definitely caught up with me and I realized that just wasn’t enough anymore.

I first heard of CrossFit through none other than social media. I had seen so many videos of men and women giving their absolute all to get that one last rep/PR. I loved the intensity I saw in them and I just knew this was the type of motivation I needed. My first few months were definitely rough, I remember being sore almost every time I came in but I knew it was all worth it because I was getting stronger. Consistency was key. Now I look forward to every workout because they are different, you’re never bored. There are days that I feel I might die (seriously I do) and it sounds crazy but I still enjoy it because I feel accomplished. I honestly don’t think I’ve ever pushed myself so hard to finish a workout. I love the team atmosphere and the encouragement of others (the yelling helps ALOT). There is also friendly competition so it pushes you to go heavier and faster (no one likes to be the last one). I had my first competition in May, something I never thought I’d do but my workout partner Celi signed me up (literally without my knowledge) and it was probably the best decision she made for us. It showed me how far I’ve come and how far I have yet to go. I can’t wait to see what else MCFSA has in store for me, all the coaches are absolutely awesome and they are the reason why I keep coming back!

August 2016 Athlete of The Month – Isabell Stoltz

Congratulations to Isabell Stoltz for being selected as August’s Athlete of the Month!  After having her fourth child a few years ago, Isabell decided she wanted something more well-rounded in terms of working out.  She had tried personal training but was still searching for something more.  She then gave CrossFit a try and really fell in love with the challenge that each day brought.  She later joined her husband, Mark, at Mission and the rest is history.  She now attends class through out the week and you can always see her cheering others on and pushing her limits  For those reasons and many more, she is certainly deserving of the title “Athlete of the Month.”

NameIsabell Stoltz

Started CrossFit: 1 year ago (August, 2015)

Favorite WOD: Long chippers with body weight moments- running is a plus!

Least Favorite WOD: 16.4 – 13-minute AMRAP of 55 deadlifts (155 lb.), 55 wall-ball shots (14 lb. to 9’), 55-calorie row, and 55 handstand push-ups.

Favorite Lift: Bar Muscle Ups

Least Favorite Lift: Sumo Deadlift High Pull

Story:

For the past 15 years my main mode of working out was running. But after I had my fourth child in the summer of 2014, I really didn’t have the motivation for long runs (with a stroller) and wanted something more well rounded. My husband Mark (also a member at Mission) gave me some personal training sessions for Christmas later that year. I worked out with the trainer in the gym three to four times per week. I was able to loose weight and develop some muscle tone, but after a while I felt like I had hit a plateau. Working out at a standard gym was not that exciting and no one really cared if I showed up or not. Then, last summer, I saw a sign for a CrossFit box close to my work in the Medical Center and decided to give it a shot. A month later, my enthusiasm for CrossFit led Mark to also give it a try (he pretty much had to if we were going to have anything to talk about!), but not at my box…he joined Mission. The path to becoming a member of the Mission CrossFit community began this past January at the SuperFit games, where Mark and I competed together. At the event I met Drew and some other longtime members of Mission. A month later, after competing in A League of Their Own, I decided to make the move official.

Life is pretty busy. We have four kids (Jacque 7, Ali 5, Nicolas 3, Colette 2) and I work full time as a professor at the UT Health Science Center School of Nursing. I would not be able to find time in my schedule with out Mark. He has been so supportive from the beginning of it all and without him it would not be possible. My workout time is my favorite part of the day. It is the rare “me” time I get in our house of six. Working out makes me a better wife, mother, and friend. There really is something special about the Mission Community. They will notice and ask you why to didn’t show up – and I like that. There are thousands of excuses but get in the gym and put in the work. You are better for it!

July 2016 Athlete of The Month – Lindsey Wagner

Congratulations to Lindsey Wagner for being selected as July’s Athlete of the Month!  Lindsey started CrossFit right around the same time she began Law School and instantly fell in love.  Her workouts became an outlet during school and kept her mind clear and focused.  She continued CrossFitting through her pregnancy and continues to have the same drive she had at the beginning.  When her family moved to San Antonio, she searched out a box, found Mission and we welcomed her with open arms.  She has been a staple member in our 8:30am and 9:30am classes with outstanding energy while supporting her fellow classmates. For those reasons and many more, she is certainly deserving of the title “Athlete of the Month.”

Name: Lindsey Wagner

Started CrossFit: October 2012

Favorite WOD: Grace

Least Favorite WOD: 15.5 / anything with running

Favorite Lift: Back Squat

Least Favorite Lift: Deadlifts (but only because they don’t like me)

Story: I got hooked on CrossFit when my husband came home raving about how awesome it was after he had started going to a small box near our home in Salt Lake City, Utah.  It was right around the time I started law school and for some crazy reason I decided I needed to give it a shot too. I had played sports in high school and was on the women’s rowing team at Gonzaga (as the coxswain, since apparently 5’1″ girls don’t make the best rowers but are great at being a coach in the boat ha!), but was never very good at consistently working out on my own. So, I was seriously surprised at how much I instantly loved CrossFit and especially how much it pushed me physically and mentally. I know now that a huge part of that is the community aspect of CrossFit, I’ve met so many wonderful people and made so many friends through it. CrossFit without a doubt saved my sanity and gave me an outlet during law school, while pregnant, as a new mom, and even now still does.

When we moved to San Antonio last year the first thing I did was start looking for a new box. Mission was the first box I visited and I knew pretty much right away I’d found my new CrossFit home. Everyone was so inviting and accepting of me bringing my crazy toddler daughter and her “cheering” us on from her pack-n-play. The gym itself, coaches, and programming can’t be beat. Mission was one of the first places that made me feel like Texas was really home and for that I’ll be forever grateful.

June 2016 Athlete of The Month – Lawrence Tsang

Congratulations to Lawrence Tsang for being selected as June’s Athlete of the Month! Lawrence joined Mission in 2014 and has been frequent attendee of almost every class on our schedule.  For those reasons and many more, he is certainly deserving of the title “Athlete of the Month.”

Name: Lawrence Tsang

Started CrossFit: 2012? Maybe 2011? You guys have my record…

Favorite WOD: EMOM-Anything. There’s something I love that is challenging and everyone performs the movement at the same time. When the plates all hit the ground at the same time, it’s a beautiful sound… like synchronized swimming.

Least Favorite WOD: Fran. Not a fan of thrusters…

Favorite Lift: Squat clean… deadlift is a very close second.                       

Least Favorite Lift: Overhead Squats. It’s a love-hate thing. Mobility, strength, and stability… for me it takes a lot of concentration to nail all of that at the same time, but it’s a challenge I continue to work on.

Story: I’ve heard all the rumors, the naysayers, and the negative “press,” but CrossFit changed me. I was living a pretty erratic and unhealthy lifestyle. To some, it can be a perceived as a little over the top for the slow pace of Texas. With a crazy job and long hours, a colleague suggested I try CrossFit. First session was free and went with another fellow colleague… we also heard CrossFit girls are really hot. I walked into a tiny “gym” beside a pizza joint off Broadway and didn’t know what to think. I wasn’t sure what the WOD was but it involved 100 pull ups, maybe it was Angie. I’ve never had so many bands on me, didn’t know what a kip was, I was swaying all over the place, and walked out completely defeated. I was told to come back despite the soreness. It took a week and doses of Advils before I decided to go back and sign up. It wasn’t necessarily that I enjoyed the challenge, but it was the coaches and fellow athletes that made me stay. MCFSA instilled a sense of discipline in me, forces me to get out of the office and relieve some stress, and allowed me to eat better. It’s a great community, one that I wish I was more involved in despite a busy job that requires a lot of traveling. Everyday I’m in San Antonio, I fight the 281 traffic from downtown, pass at least a half dozen CrossFit gyms, just to come to Mission CrossFit… because they’re the best! I am in the best shape that I’ve ever been (more improvement needed), I’m eating healthier, and look forward to the WODs no matter how challenging! Oh, did I mention I like long walks on the Riverwalk?

May 2016 Athlete of the Month – Matt Newman

Congratulations to Matt Newman for being selected as May’s Athlete of the Month! Matt joined Mission in 2014 and has been a main staple of the 12:00pm class.  After losing a significant amount of weight he was looking for something new and gave CrossFit a go.  Little did he know he would fall in love with the program and been coming 4-5 days a week!  Matt embodies what it means to be a CrossFitter and will always be there cheering his fellow classmates on until the end of the workout. For those reasons and many more, he is certainly deserving of the title “Athlete of the Month.”

Name: Matt Newman

Started CrossFit: 2014

Favorite WOD: 500 Meter Row Time Trial

Least Favorite WOD: 14.5/16.5 (Burpees are hard on a tall man!)

Favorite Lift: The Clean

Least Favorite Lift: The Snatch

Story: My journey to a healthier life started in 2007 when I started making better life choices around exercise and better eating. In total I lost 100 pounds. After several years of working hard to maintain my weight, I found myself becoming bored with my routine. A friend recommended I try CrossFit. It was exactly what I needed to reinvigorate my goals and set new ones. While I still have a lot of things to improve, I enjoy the varying workouts, my fellow CrossFit Community (shout out to the 12:00 crew) and finding new ways to push myself past that comfort zone. Most importantly, the Mission Coaches have been one of my favorite aspects of the CrossFit Community. They always seem to find the perfect balance of encouragement and constructive criticism to help me improve my lifts and other CrossFit movements.

DSC_0021

April 2016 Athlete Of The Month – Marjorie Costello

Congratulations to Marjorie Costello for being selected as April’s Athlete of the Month! Marjorie joined Mission just 4 months ago this past November, not really knowing what to expect out of coming, but knew she needed something different to help get her stronger.  So she made the jump and committed to the program and right away took a strong liking to it.  Marjorie embodies what it means to be a CrossFitter and will always be there cheering on her fellow classmate. For those reasons and many more, she is certainly deserving of the title “Athlete of the Month.”

Name: Marjorie Costello

Started CrossFit: November 2015

Favorite WOD: 16.4

Least Favorite WOD:16.5

Favorite Lift: Deadlift

Least Favorite Lift: OHSQ

Story: My husband introduced CrossFit to me three years ago; at which point, I decided that there was no way in hell I would spend my time working out to the point of heaving, holding back vomit, and falling to the ground in a crumpled mess. I preferred the workouts that ended with me barefoot on a mat seeking inner peace. But, then, like so many Americans, I watched The Walking Dead and was struck with the mortal realization that I wouldn’t survive through Episode 1, let alone the whole season. I needed to be stronger.

But, I was frightened by CrossFit and it’s ridiculous stereotypes of turning women into beasts with traps up to their ears. So, I tried Boot Camp. It was fine. But, it didn’t push me. The community of women had different goals than myself. Respectable goals like burning enough calories to eat queso, drink beer, and still have their husbands sleep with them. These are noble goals in and of themselves. But, I wanted more. I wanted to live through Season 2.

So, four months ago, I took the leap. I picked up the bar. I threw up a couple of times. And I definitely ended heaving in a crumpled mess. It was amazing. And it’s really effing hard. I am facing a range of mobility issues, endurance issues, and positive attitude issues. But, every day I become stronger…I squat lower…I lift heavier…Everyday I face the weaknesses and survive another episode.
Scroll to Top
Scroll to Top