Athlete of the Month

Athlete of the Month

All of us who work out here at Mission CrossFit SA train hard. We are all on our own journey in pursuit of a higher level of fitness, health and ultimately, life. It is not an easy journey, but it’s worth it. It requires hard work, sweat, discipline, and perseverance. The journey is filled with challenges, obstacles, and sometimes-even setbacks. And although every person’s road is unique, it is not a solo endeavor. We are in the pursuit of fitness together. Like a team, when a person is knocked down, the group responds by picking them up. Equally as important, when someone succeeds, their accomplishments are enjoyed and celebrated by the whole. To that end, every month, one person will be recognized for their outstanding achievements in fitness, whether they are in or out of the box.

This page is dedicated to that individual who portrays what CrossFit is at Mission CrossFit SA. It is someone who pushes hard, never gives up and wants to accomplish something each day they step foot inside our gym. They are chosen by their peers and lead by example. The athlete doesn’t necessarily lift the most amount of weight, or win every WOD, but instead they have passion and desire for what their individual goal is. Work hard, everyone is always paying attention, and you could be next!

Athlete of The Month – May 2013

Name: Gerald Barnes

Started Crossfit: May 2012

Favorite WOD: Anything Hard

Least favorite WOD: Anything with lots of running.

Favorite lift: Front/Back Squats

Least favorite lift: Overhead Squats

Story: I started my Crossfit adventure on a whim almost one year ago not sure if it was going to be right for me. I still remember my first elements class with Neal I had trouble doing 5 burpees in a row and thought, what am I doing here, but I stuck with it. I think I only went to two classes a week for the first month and it took me three days after each workout just to walk normally again.

When I started at MCFSA I don’t think I had done anything physical for about six years, and I was at my largest at 220 pounds. I thought I would be able to lose the weight fast in a month or two but for months after starting I didn’t see any weight change. As time went by I did start to notice the workouts started to get easier, and I started needing fewer modifications for the workouts, and that’s when I started noticing I wasn’t losing weight but I was losing inches. It wasn’t until the Paleo challenge in December that I started to address my diet and I lost about 12 pounds during that challenge. At that point I was able to do all workouts without modification and at the prescribed weight and losing that weight gave me a huge confidence boost and I started setting small goals and pushed myself to achieve them.

I think my biggest change has come in the last few months with my second Paleo Challenge, where I lost an additional 23 pounds, and deciding to enter the Crossfit Open Challenge. I surprised myself in the open; I was able to do things I thought were impossible just a year ago. I am so grateful to everyone in the gym for their help and support in my journey to get in shape and I look forward to continuing to improve and becoming an even stronger athlete, Crossfit Open 2014!!!

Athlete of The Month – April 2013

Name: Cesar Hernandez

Started Crossfit: June 2012

Favorite WOD: Deck of Death

Least favorite WOD: ?

Favorite lift: Power Cleans

Least favorite lift: Front Squat

Story: I’ve been coming to Mission Crossfit for 10 months now. I weighed 340lbs when I first came in. I had always been a big guy with feet problems because of my weight. I had tried different work out programs but never one that suited me. When I first came in to the box I was extremely nervous but determined to make a change in my life. The few weeks of crossfit were hell but I started loving it. I’m so proud of the accomplishments that I have made. I wasn’t able to do one pull up without bands and now I do 3 pull ups no band. I can run faster and longer distances, lift heavier than I have ever lifted and have greater endurance. I try hard to eat clean and healthy. Which is very difficult since I’m a chef. I am proud to say that I now 258lbs and hope to drop even more after the Paleo Challege! I’m gonna strive to be a better athlete this year and I would like to thank all my fellow athletes and coaches for all of your support and encouragement. Thank you Mission Crossfit for changing my life!

Athlete of the Month – April 2013 – Cesar Hernandez

This month we’ve selected Cesar Hernandez as our athlete of the month.  Since joining, Cesar has seen incredible gains and has been an inspiration to many.  He’s a testament to the fact that anyone can not only just do CrossFit, but also excel in the sport.  The day Cesar walked through our doors, he noted that he wouldn’t be able to do much running at all because of ankle issues that he’d been dealing with for years because of his weight.  These days, you can often find Cesar putting in extra work post WOD by running 400m sprints or shuttle runs.  He’s a man on a mission that has really just begun and we look forward to his continued success in the gym!

Remember to congratulate him when you see him in class.  He’s often in the 6:30 AM or 8:30 AM class but sometimes drops in during an evening class as well.  Way to go Cesar!

Athlete of The Month – April 2013

Name: Cesar Hernandez

Started Crossfit: June 2012

Favorite WOD: Deck of Death

Least favorite WOD: ?

Favorite lift: Power Cleans

Least favorite lift:  Front Squat

Story:  I’ve been coming to Mission Crossfit for 10 months now. I weighed 340lbs when I first came in. I had always been a big guy with feet problems because of my weight. I had tried different work out programs but never one that suited me. When I first came in to the box I was extremely nervous but determined to make a change in my life. The few weeks of crossfit were hell but I started loving it. I’m so proud of the accomplishments that I have made. I wasn’t able to do one pull up without bands and now I do 3 pull ups no band. I can run faster and longer distances, lift heavier than I have ever lifted and have greater endurance. I try hard to eat clean and healthy. Which is very difficult since I’m a chef. I am proud to say that I now 258lbs and hope to drop even more after the Paleo Challege! I’m gonna strive to be a better athlete this year and I would like to thank all my fellow athletes and coaches for all of your support and encouragement. Thank you Mission Crossfit for changing my life!

Athlete of The Month – March 2013

Name: Chad Smith

Started Crossfit: Feb 2012

Favorite WOD: Team WODS or Deck of Death

Least favorite WOD: None

Favorite lift: Deadlifts

Least favorite lift: Turkish Get Up’s

Story: I started Crossfit a year ago when I was encouraged to try it by my best friend. I think I was like a lot of people before and would go to the gym and just go through the motions and call it a workout. I was ready to try something different and make some changes. When I started Crossfit, I was 270 pounds and really out of shape. I still remember my first day, and how nervous I was walking in the class. I was immediately greeted and was surprised how friendly everyone was. The first few months of Crossfit were unlike anything I had experienced. I thought I was going to die after each WOD but loved the challenge and variety. I quickly fell in love with CrossFit and the culture. After a few months, I moved over to Mission after my friend joined and suggested it. This was the best decision I have ever made. Mission is not like any other box. Personally, I think it is the Coaches and Members that really separate Mission. Every time I walk in the door I have a great time.

The help I received from every single coach was amazing. I had serious mobility issues and could not even lift my arms over my head. Every one of the coaches worked with me to help stretch and regain my lost mobility by teaching me proper technique and staying after me when I got frustrated and I’ve seen real improvements in my lifts and WODs. February was my one year anniversary and I am happy to say I am 208 pounds and have almost full range of motion in my shoulders.

I want to thank all of the Coaches at Mission Crossfit SA. Everyday I get to come in work hard, meet new people, and laugh. It has been a great experience and I can’t wait to see what the next year at Mission will bring.

Athlete of The Month – February 2013

Name: Jose Reyes

Started Crossfit: The summer of 2012

Favorite WOD: anything that involves thrusters and OHS

Least Favorite WOD: anything that involves wall ball shots

Favorite Lift: Clean

Least Favorite Lift: no such thing

Story: I started crossfit in the summer of 2012 because one of the coaches, Marco Garcia, recommended it to me. To be honest, I just wanted to try it out for a month and didn’t have plans on continuing. Well, after that month was done I couldnt go back to a regular gym. I was told that the reason why I was picked to be the Athlete of the Month was because I pushed myself hard. Well to me, I’m just trying to keep up with everyone at the gym because I see so many superstars who overcoming their own obstacles. The only reason why I have been able to make the improvements that I have is because of the coaches and the members who have been encouraging me and giving me pointers. Of course, my new Reebok Crossfit shoes have helped me as well! My goal in crossfit is to be able to do every single WOD prescribed. I have a new sense of self-confidence in my life and I’d like to thank Mission Crossfit San Antonio for that. I’m still kicking myself for not tyring it out sooner.

February Athlete of the Month: Jose Reyes

Congratulations to Jose Reyes for being nominated as “Athlete of the Month” for the month of February.  Unfortunately, Jose will be leaving us soon but his efforts and improvements will not soon be forgotten.

Athlete of The Month – February 2013

Name:  Jose Reyes

Started Crossfit: The summer of 20102

Favorite WOD: anything that involves thrusters and OHS

Least Favorite WOD: anything that involves wall ball shots

Favorite Lift: Clean

Least Favorite Lift: no such thing

Story: I started crossfit in the summer of 2012 because one of the coaches, Marco Garcia,  recommended it to me. To be honest, I just wanted to try it out for a month and didn’t have plans on continuing. Well, after that month was done I couldnt go back to a regular gym. I was told that the reason why I was picked to be the Athlete of the Month was because I pushed myself hard. Well to me, I’m just trying to keep up with everyone at the gym because I see so many superstars who overcoming their own obstacles. The only reason why I have been able to make the improvements that I have is because of the coaches and the members who have been encouraging me and giving me pointers. Of course, my new Reebok Crossfit shoes have helped me as well! My goal in crossfit is to be able to do every single WOD prescribed. I have a new sense of self-confidence in my life and I’d like to thank Mission Crossfit San Antonio for that. Im still kicking myself for not tyring it out sooner.

Scroll to Top
Scroll to Top