Athlete of the Month

Athlete of the Month

All of us who work out here at Mission CrossFit SA train hard. We are all on our own journey in pursuit of a higher level of fitness, health and ultimately, life. It is not an easy journey, but it’s worth it. It requires hard work, sweat, discipline, and perseverance. The journey is filled with challenges, obstacles, and sometimes-even setbacks. And although every person’s road is unique, it is not a solo endeavor. We are in the pursuit of fitness together. Like a team, when a person is knocked down, the group responds by picking them up. Equally as important, when someone succeeds, their accomplishments are enjoyed and celebrated by the whole. To that end, every month, one person will be recognized for their outstanding achievements in fitness, whether they are in or out of the box.

This page is dedicated to that individual who portrays what CrossFit is at Mission CrossFit SA. It is someone who pushes hard, never gives up and wants to accomplish something each day they step foot inside our gym. They are chosen by their peers and lead by example. The athlete doesn’t necessarily lift the most amount of weight, or win every WOD, but instead they have passion and desire for what their individual goal is. Work hard, everyone is always paying attention, and you could be next!

Athlete of The Month – January 2013

Name: Dee Duffy

Started Crossfit: 4/19/12

Favorite WOD: Anything with Slam Balls

Least favorite WOD: Anything With “Russian” In It

Favorite lift: Deadlifts

Least favorite lift: None

Story: I made the commitment to lose 120 lbs in February 2012. Because I did not want to have skin dragging around my elbows & ankles, in April Denie & Dom introduced me to Neal. I started working with him two days a week. When Neal suggested I start taking the stairs instead of the elevator I was only going down the stairs (at first). I went down like a two year old; step, step; step, step – for three flights. Then one day I just went down the stairs – one after the other & froze at the door, realizing what I had just done. Holy cow! In one month! No way! So I started walking up…that was harder. Last week I ran up the stairs! Can you believe it? And held a conversation when I got to the third floor.
I don’t think I’ve ever done the same thing two days in a row. I’m never bored. I love it and can’t imagine not doing my work outs. It’s funny – when I first started I was actually a little embarrassed to come in. But everyone was so encouraging! Each day someone spoke to me, or smiled & gave me that look of understanding. Month by month I’ve watched the reflection in the windows disappear. I’ve lost 100 Lbs. now & the loose skin isn’t too bad! In April I’m doing my very first triathalon at age 62. Who would have thought? Heck I’m just gettin’ started! Maybe someday I’ll represent Mission Crossfit in the Senior category! You never know…

Thanks everyone

Dee is a true testament to what CrossFit can do for anyone and everyone who walks through our doors.  Many of you may have seen Dee in the late evenings doing personal training with Coach Neal and even coming in on her own at times to complete workouts that Neal has written for her.  Dee’s first few sessions, as her and Neal would testify, were very basic and have slowly transformed into a typical CrossFit workout that any person at the gym would find a challenge.  Take time to read her story, she’s done amazing things for herself at the gym and is an inspiration to many of us at the gym, especially the coaching staff!

Name: Dee Duffy

Started Crossfit: 4/19/12

Favorite WOD: Anything with Slam Balls

Least favorite WOD: Anything With “Russian” In It

Favorite lift: Deadlifts

Least favorite lift: None

Story:

I made the commitment to lose 120 lbs in February 2012. Because I did not want to have skin dragging around my elbows & ankles, in April Denie & Dom introduced me to Neal. I started working with him two days a week. When Neal suggested I start taking the stairs instead of the elevator I was only going down the stairs (at first). I went down like a two year old; step, step; step, step – for three flights.  Then one day I just went down the stairs – one after the other & froze at the door, realizing what I had just done. Holy cow!  In one month!  No way!  So I started walking up…that was harder.  Last week I ran up the stairs!  Can you believe it? And held a conversation when I got to the third floor.

I don’t think I’ve ever done the same thing two days in a row. I’m never bored. I love it and can’t imagine not doing my work outs. It’s funny – when I first started I was actually a little embarrassed to come in. But everyone was so encouraging! Each day someone spoke to me, or smiled & gave me that look of understanding. Month by month I’ve watched the reflection in the windows disappear. I’ve lost 100 Lbs. now & the loose skin isn’t too bad! In April I’m doing my very first triathalon at age 62. Who would have thought?  Heck I’m just gettin’ started! Maybe someday I’ll represent Mission Crossfit in the Senior category! You never know…

Thanks everyone!

Athlete of The Month – December 2012

Name: Abbie Mayo

Started Crossfit: January 2012

Favorite WOD: Deck of Death

Least favorite WOD: Any WOD with a ton of pull-ups!

Favorite lift: Front squat, Back squat, or Overhead (I like squats!) :)

Least favorite lift: Snatches!

Story: I started CrossFit in January as a way to change up my workout routine, and to gain some strength. I have always run and lifted some type of weight my entire life, so I thought I was in good shape when I started Crossfit, but boy was I mistaken! There were so many things that I could not do when I first started, but with time and practice I have conquered many of my goals. There are so many things that I love about Crossfit! I love the fact that in Crossfit you can be on any level and still get in a great workout and feel accomplished at the end. I love the laid back atmosphere and the sense of community here at Mission Crossfit. I have met so many great people since I began, and I look forward to seeing them each day, and watching them accomplish great things! I love the coaches here at Mission, and I think they do a great job of teaching and encouraging you. They make you want to get better, and are willing to help you get there. I know from experience that good coaching and training can make or break your workout experience. :) And finally, I love how varied the workouts are-it is never boring!! I am so glad that I found Crossfit and tried it. I have gained many things this past year, and I look forward to seeing what I can accomplish in the next year! Thanks for choosing me as Athlete of the Month! I feel very honored!

December 2012 Athlete of the Month: Abbie Mayo

This month we chose Abbie Mayo as our Athlete of the Month.  Abbie has shown incredible dedication at the gym over the last few months.  She often stays after class to work on her weaknesses and hone her strengths and has made huge gains since she first stepped in the door.  Be sure to congratulate her at either the 8:30AM or 9:30AM women’s class where she is a regular during the week.  Great job Abbie!!! Keep up the good work!

Athlete of The Month – December 2012

Name: Abbie Mayo

Started Crossfit: January 2012

Favorite WOD: Deck of Death

Least favorite WOD: Any WOD with a ton of pull-ups!

Favorite lift: Front squat, Back squat, or Overhead (I like squats!) 🙂

Least favorite lift: Snatches!

Story: I started CrossFit in January as a way to change up my workout routine, and to gain some strength. I have always run and lifted some type of weight my entire life, so I thought I was in good shape when I started Crossfit, but boy was I mistaken! There were so many things that I could not do when I first started, but with time and practice I have conquered many of my goals. There are so many things that I love about Crossfit! I love the fact that in Crossfit you can be on any level and still get in a great workout and feel accomplished at the end.  I love the laid back atmosphere and the sense of community here at Mission Crossfit. I have met so many great people since I began, and I look forward to seeing them each day, and watching them accomplish great things!  I love the coaches here at Mission, and I think they do a great job of teaching and encouraging you. They make you want to get better, and are willing to help you get there. I know from experience that good coaching and training can make or break your workout experience. 🙂 And finally, I love how varied the workouts are-it is never boring!!  I am so glad that I found Crossfit and tried it.  I have gained many things this past year, and I look forward to seeing what I can accomplish in the next year! Thanks for choosing me as Athlete of the Month! I feel very honored!

Athlete of The Month – November 2012

Name: James Hardin

Started Crossfit: April 2012

Favorite WOD: Linda, or any WOD that kicks my ass.

Least favorite WOD: any WOD that I do well on.

Favorite lift: deadliest

Least favorite lift: overhead squat

Story: I have to start by saying I am truly honored to have been chosen.

I was evacuated from Afghanistan in late December 2010 due to wounds sustained in an IED blast. An MRI revealed that I had a tumor in my c4 vertebrate along with the traumatic injuries sustained from the blast. I was diagnosed with non-hodgkins lymphoma. The tumor was growing rapidly and was putting pressure on the main arteries running to my brain. They told me they had to start treatment immediately or I would end up having a massive stroke and die. Over the next 9 months I underwent 6 rounds of chemotherapy and 20 rounds of radiation. In that time I dropped from 225 to 160 lbs. In February 2012 I had officially beaten the cancer. Eager to get back in shape, I decided to try crossfit. I checked out a few different boxes in San Antonio before coming to mission. Although some may not realize it, mission stands well above any other box I’ve been to. But it is not the facility or equipment that sets it apart. It’s the coaches. The amount of time and effort that they will put in to help someone is unparalleled. This time last year I had just finished chemo and had begun radiation. I weighed 166lbs. With the coaches guidance on lifting and nutrition I am now 195lbs and in better shape than I ever was. Ill end this by saying thank you to all the coaches for everything they’ve done and I wouldn’t be where I am today with out them.

November Athlete of the Month – James Hardin

I know we’re late posting this, but most of you know James as they guy who does the most random exercises around the gym.  No matter what class you visit, you’ve probably seen him doing deadlifts, carrying odd objects, or wearing a gas mask.  He’s one of the hardest working guys around the gym and we’re honored to name him our athlete of the month!  Click here to read more about him!

Name: James Hardin

Started Crossfit: April 2012

Favorite WOD: Linda, or any WOD that kicks my ass.

Least favorite WOD: any WOD that I do well on.

Favorite lift:  deadliest

Least favorite lift: overhead squat

Story: I have to start by saying I am truly honored to have been chosen.

I was evacuated from Afghanistan in late December 2010 due to wounds sustained in an IED blast.  An MRI revealed that I had a tumor in my c4 vertebrate along with the traumatic injuries sustained from the blast.  I was diagnosed with non-hodgkins lymphoma. The tumor was growing rapidly and was putting pressure on the main arteries running to my brain.  They told me they had to start treatment immediately or I would end up having a massive stroke and die.  Over the next 9 months I underwent 6 rounds of chemotherapy and 20 rounds of radiation.  In that time I dropped from 225 to 160 lbs. In February 2012 I had officially beaten the cancer.  Eager to get back in shape, I decided to try crossfit. I checked out a few different boxes in San Antonio before coming to mission.  Although some may not realize it, mission stands well above any other box I’ve been to.  But it is not the facility or equipment that sets it apart.  It’s the coaches.  The amount of time and effort that they will put in to help someone is unparalleled.  This time last year I had just finished chemo and had begun radiation. I weighed 166lbs.  With the coaches guidance on lifting and nutrition I am now 195lbs and in better shape than I ever was.  Ill end this by saying thank you to all the coaches for everything they’ve done and I wouldn’t be where I am today with out them.

Scroll to Top
Scroll to Top