Athlete of the Month

Athlete of the Month

All of us who work out here at Mission CrossFit SA train hard. We are all on our own journey in pursuit of a higher level of fitness, health and ultimately, life. It is not an easy journey, but it’s worth it. It requires hard work, sweat, discipline, and perseverance. The journey is filled with challenges, obstacles, and sometimes-even setbacks. And although every person’s road is unique, it is not a solo endeavor. We are in the pursuit of fitness together. Like a team, when a person is knocked down, the group responds by picking them up. Equally as important, when someone succeeds, their accomplishments are enjoyed and celebrated by the whole. To that end, every month, one person will be recognized for their outstanding achievements in fitness, whether they are in or out of the box.

This page is dedicated to that individual who portrays what CrossFit is at Mission CrossFit SA. It is someone who pushes hard, never gives up and wants to accomplish something each day they step foot inside our gym. They are chosen by their peers and lead by example. The athlete doesn’t necessarily lift the most amount of weight, or win every WOD, but instead they have passion and desire for what their individual goal is. Work hard, everyone is always paying attention, and you could be next!

October 2018 Athlete of the Month

Congratulations to Sarah Septien for being selected as October’s Athlete of the Month. Sarah has shown a great amount of growth since first stepping in the doors of Mission. She is usually crushing the WOD’s during the zero dark-thirty class (5am). If you do get an opportunity to WOD with her, pray it is not a running WOD! You can always find her after class working on extra stuff to help her get better. For those reasons and many more is why Sarah is deserving of Athlete of the Month.
Started CrossFit: 2014
Favorite WOD:  Annie, or anything containing DU’s because I can crush Landon  (My husband)
Least favorite WOD: Nonexistent
Favorite lift: SQUATS
Least favorite lift: bench press
Story: My story? Crossfit is my story. Crossfit has become my way of life. It is where I met my husband, it is where I met lifetime friends, It is what dictates my schedule, what time I go to bed, my macros, my activities, what I talk about during the day, the jokes I tell, what I search for online, and that is just for starters.
Ironically though, it was not always like this.
Even though I have always participated in sports and competed in them, from swimming to dancing to soccer to tennis, I never really used to like lifting weights, specially while in High school and College where I focused on tennis.
Tennis for many years was my sole priority. It was the reason why my family and I moved from Cancun, Mexico to Texas. After a lot of training and hard work, I ended up playing competitive College Tennis for SLU in MO. Unfortunately, during my college career, I suffered a couple of serious injuries that required surgical treatment, so after graduating I decided I wanted to finally take some time off to focus on other things.
To my surprise, something felt off. I soon realized that “the grass was definitely not greener on the other side.” Not exercising made me feel somewhat “empty”, like something was missing.
I had always had the camaraderie of a team, the pressure of competition, the endorphins  of an elevated heart rate, the muscle soreness, the burning of blood rushing through your veins. Now all I had were the aches and pains of not doing anything, so I decided I had to do something about it.
I joined some climbing, yoga and  acrobatic classes as they seemed fun and challenging but unfortunately, they only seemed to captured my attention for a brief period of time because something was missing. Yes, they were fun and challenging, but hey didn’t have the “it” factor.
It was not until I came across CrossFit that I found what I was looking for. CrossFit combined competition, hard work, and camaraderie which is what I was used to and craved.  Even though lifting weights had never been my thing, doing so gave me a sense of empowerment, of invincibility, of achievement, and it also gave me an avenue to set never-ending goals of becoming better, faster, stronger, which ultimately made me fall deeply in love.
That being said, the biggest catalyst to my CrossFit career has been joining Mission CrossFit. The combination of knowledgeable and caring coaches with the friendly yet competitive “WODmates” have made me grow so much this past year and a half, even more that I ever thought possible. I joined Mission with the hope of continuing to improve my CrossFit career,  but it has done so much more than that and I am very grateful for it!
Thank you MCFSA !!
dsc_0044

September 2018 Athlete of the Month

Congratulations to Edgar Rodriguez for being selected as September 2018 Athlete of the Month. Edgar has put in a tremendous mount of work since first stepping foot into Mission. He came in looking for a competitive edge he was missing. Within a few months of doing normal class, he was able to transition to Mission’s Sport program. Doing Coach Drew nutrition program he has been able to attain his goal weight that he thought was unattainable. For those reasons and many more is why Edgar is deserving of Athlete of the Month.  Also for those of you who have not got a “cut” by Edgar you are missing out!

Started CrossFit: May 2014
Favorite WOD: Isabel
Least favorite WOD: Fran
Favorite Lift: Snatches
Least favorite lift: Thrusters
My story:  Where do I start, in 2014 I was in a transition in my life. I was at a point where I didn’t know if I wanted to continue to be a barber. I had invested so much time into my craft and towards my clientele. During the years I was learning my craft I can honestly say I had let myself go. I had no self control over the things I was doing, I was eating horrible everyday to the point that I had reach my heaviest weight of 251. I started to notice I was tired all the time and feeling sluggish during the day. As time went on during the year I made a move that would changed my life til this very day. I moved to another barbershop to where I’m still at till this very day. One day I was talking to the owner of the barbershop and he was telling me he was doing CrossFit at a local box and if I wanted to try it out. So I went not knowing what to expect, keep in mind I had worked out in years. I had to puke from the get go, I felt pretty disappointed and so discouraged I really told myself if I wanted to change my life around for my own benefit I would have to stick with it. So as time went on I noticed I was feeling better and my progression was coming along. I started to fall in love with CrossFit I loved the challenge mentally and physically. During that time CrossFit helped me get over some personal things I had going in my life as well.  I started to notice I wanted something different and I wanted a change from the place I was going to. After dropping in at other boxes around the city I still wasn’t happy. So one day this very special person in my life?  ( I meet along this journey) told me about Mission CrossFit.  From the very moment I walked in I knew Mission was so different. So after dropping in I told myself I wanted to drop in a few more times before I made a decision so my drop in lead to dropping in for the month. After having a conversation with Drew  after the month was over, the rest is history! During my time here at Mission I’ve met so many amazing people now some of these guys are not just clients but great friends as well. The community here is so different from every other box, everyone has played a very important role during my time here. I consider Mission my 2nd home away from home, I couldn’t have ask for a better place to be at then here at Mission. I’m so grateful for everyone here this place is special as I continue to grow more passionate about this sport. I want to be able to do this as long as I can. My health has grown more serious over the years and I can honestly say I’m in the best shape of my life today then I ever been. All I can say is thank you to everyone who has played a role in guiding me, pushing me when I wanted to stop, cheering me on when I was dying mid WOD and giving me advice to be better thank you!
img_0842

August 2018 Athlete of the Month

2018-08-02-05-22-28

Congratulations to Becky Fritz for being selected as August 2018 Athlete of the Month.  You can normally find Becky at the 5am class ( usually by the fan ) . Over the past 2 years Becky has made tremendous strides and gains in all her lifts. Even a minor knee issue hasn’t kept her away, she still comes in and puts in the work with specific modifications.  She has been a great addition to our Mission family. For those reasons and many more is why Becky is deserving of Athlete of the Month.

Started CrossFit-October 2016

Favorite WOD– Murph

Least favorite WOD-Bear

Favorite lift-Deadlift

Least favorite lift-Snatches

StoryBefore Mission I spent time as a competitive swimmer, in the pool 5-6 days a week. That changed when I joined the Army and running, push-ups, sit-ups, and ruck marches became my fitness modalities. I came to love taking to the pavement to alleviate my frustrations. Over time running took a toll on my knees and once I left the military I focused on lower intensity activities. I loved yoga and also found myself dabbling in spin, kickboxing, Zumba, step, and even hula-hooping (go ahead and laugh). No matter which activity, I wasn’t really changing anything and I started to lose interest in something I loved – Fitness.

I heard about CrossFit when my husband dropped into MCF for a couple months in 2012 and I remember seeing measurable changes in his fitness. Still, I rolled my eyes for YEARS thinking it wasn’t for me. Climb ropes, throw barbells over my head, stand on my head, push sleds in an empty parking lot? No thanks. I trudged on in my own, “I think I’m fit” world.

In the summer of 2016 I completed an on ramp at Iron Major CrossFit (Leavenworth, Kansas) mostly because I wanted to spend some extra time with my husband and we could work out together. We ended up moving to San Antonio a few weeks later. I wasn’t sold on CrossFit yet and in the first few weeks I was nervous, frustrated, and almost ready to throw in the towel. The programming, the training, and my inexperience proved to be quite challenging. I told myself: “I will give it three months and if I still feel this frustrated, I’m quitting”. I watched videos of the CrossFit gal/guy night after night and asked a million questions in class. The 3 month commitment I made was all I needed.

The 5 am class quickly became a welcoming place where I could challenge myself and grow. If I needed help, the coaches were there to guide me. The ‘5am-ers’ would push me, encourage me, and even help the coaches sneak extra plates on my bar when I wasn’t looking. Now the 5am class is my ‘home’. Their support everyday and the amazing coaches and gym members in every class make every day in the gym a challenge, where I can’t fail, I can only get stronger, faster, and healthier in a safe and welcoming environment. I still find myself scaling and modifying some workouts because of chronic knee issues but I’ve never felt as strong and healthy as I do now.

Every day is a fitness challenge. It never plateaus, I can always push for one more rep, one more plate, or a better time. I know I am better today than when I started, and I’ll be better tomorrow after the WOD. I want my daughter to learn from me. I want her to know that no matter what age or circumstance, step outside your comfort zone. You will be amazed at what you have the potential to accomplish. I don’t think I’ll be in the open for a couple years yet, but I know I will push myself to the limit and with the people around me in class driving me even further.

I love being a part of Mission CrossFit and getting fit with and around the other members. Your motivation and support is priceless as I drive toward my fitness goals of being healthy and happy while I improve my fitness without getting hurt. Oh, and the socializing is pretty cool too. I cherish the friendship, support, and motivation that I receive every time I walk in the door. Your smiles, high-fives, sweaty hugs, and words of affirmation are what make our gym successful. I am proud to be Athlete of the Month, thank you.

Becky Fritz

July Athlete of the Month

Congratulations to Joseph Lapthorne for being selected as the July 2018 Athlete of the Month. Joseph has had an amazing fitness journey since arriving at Mission, it includes losing 30lbs!!! He is matching running speeds from back in his 20’s. Don’t we all wish we got stronger and faster with age? Well Joseph is putting in the work to accomplish it, hitting PR’s left and right. For those reasons and many more is why Joseph is deserving of Athlete of the month.

Started CrossFit: May 2017
Favorite WOD: Kelly
Least favorite WOD: Annie
Favorite lift: Deadlifts
Least favorite lift: Thrusters
Story: My CrossFit story started after a rough patch in my life. In January of 2017 I dislocated my knee and had a slight tear on my patella tendon causing me to take time away from my fitness goals. During the 4 months I spent with my knee brace on and not working out much I decided to change up my life in a few ways and needed a new physical challenge. I decided that CrossFit would be a good challenge after watching the “Fittest on Earth” documentary on Netflix and started looking for a box to go to. I went to a few box’s before I made it to Mission CrossFit and was quickly approached by Coach Meagan asking me what I was doing at Mission and what I was looking for from CrossFit. I was confident that I would catch on pretty quick due to my time spent weightlifting over the past 8 years, but I was very, very wrong. My first session I tried to do a full snatch (never done that before) with a blue bar and fell on my butt, and it didn’t get any easier from there and I still have a long way to go, but over the past year I have done some pretty amazing things. I have lost 30 pounds since I joined, my running speed matches what I could do when I was 20 (10 years ago), my PRs have shot up and I’ve never been this flexible in my life.
I know there are a lot of amazing athletes out there to choose from and highlight, so getting this honor means a lot to me. Making the choice to be at Mission was at first a choice from the appearance of the gym and the warm welcome I got from the staff, the choice to stay is because of the community and programming. From the coaches knowing what we’re capable of and pushing us to new PRs and better times, to the community giving each other encouragement (or crap) to finish a workout or just give some high-fives after a rough workout, its the people that make this such a great time and the best time I’ve ever had working out. I have made some great friends (shout to the 6:30 class (best thirty)), met my amazing girlfriend, and pushed myself to a new physical limit thanks to being at Mission and I can’t imagine not making this choice when I did. Thank you everyone for making this place what it is and thank you for letting me share some of my story since being at Mission.
dsc_0465

June 2018 Athlete of the Month

Congratulations to Jill Teixeira for being selected as the June 2018 Athlete of the Month. Jill has been a staple of the 8:30 am for the past 2 years. She always comes in with a great smile on her face, but don’t be fooled she will smoke you in the WOD. She has set some new PR’s and made some great friends. Its saddens Mission to  say goodbye to Jill as she moves on to the next duty station and new chapter in her life. We hope to see you again sooner than later. For those reasons and many more is why Jill is deserving of Athlete of the month.

Started CrossFit- June 2011
Favorite WOD-I love chippers; the longer the workout the better.
Least favorite WOD-Diane
Favorite lift-Overhead Squats & Power Cleans
Least favorite lift-deadlifts
Story– I love to workout.  In high school I was on the cross country, basketball and softball teams.  In college, I played basketball and softball.  I loved the comradery and competition.  After college, the competition and community went away and my workouts turned into solo endeavors.  Once I started having kids, it just got harder to find time to workout.  My “me” time became 5am workouts running or doing the latest beach body workouts.  I got bored with my workouts and had a hard time meeting others who liked to exercise.  In 2011, my twin sister introduced to me CrossFit.  I could barely raise my arms to wash my hair, but immediately fell in love with it.  I love the community.  I love the challenge.  I love the competition.   I have met some great people at Mission CrossFit.  This box has welcomed me into the area and made the two years my family was stationed here a blessing.  We leave this month.  I will miss all of you guys!

dsc_0335

May 2018 Athlete of the Month

Congratulations to Dan Cornell for being selected as the May 2018 Athlete of the Month. Dan has been committed to Mission CrossFit since 2012!! He is by far fitter now than he ever imagined. Dan put in his work at the 5am class, if you say ” Hey i’ve never seen Dan at 5am class ” its because he gets to sleep in 30 more minutes and come in at 5:30 am to Mission Strength class. Over the past 2 years in the strength class he has increased his back squat from 300 to 390, his deadlift from 315 to 380 and his bench from 235 to 285. Amazing gains!!! For those reasons and many more is why Dan is deserving of Athlete of the month.

Started CrossFit- August 2012
Favorite WOD- Cindy
Least favorite WOD- Anything that combines running with heavy squats or cleans.
Favorite lift- Squats!
Least favorite lift- Sleds or the assault bike. Both of those are like bad girlfriends – they’ll take everything you give and still demand more.

Story- Somewhere in mid-2012 I agreed to sign up for a Tough Mudder with a bunch of my high school buddies. For whatever reason I thought it was some sort of 5k trail run where you jump over a hay bale and run through a mud puddle at the end. When I actually looked at the website (10-12 mile course, 26 obstacles, tons of mud, electric shocks…) I realized I had made a horrible mistake. I had always done some running and light lifting, but at that point in my life I had let myself get pretty out of shape. When I looked in the mirror six weeks out from the event I had to say “this guy ain’t going to make it.”But – while I will disappoint my wife, and I will make my mom sad, I refuse to look like a pansy in front of my high school buddies so I knew I needed to do something drastic.
I had a friend who had lost a bunch of weight on a low carb diet so I stripped all the sugar and most of the carbs out of my diet to try and lean out before the event. And I had a friend in the Secret Service who had started doing CrossFit and got huge seemingly overnight, so I Googled around to find the closest CrossFit gym and I was tremendously lucky to find Mission CrossFit. I did an intro class and did my Elements work and was hooked. I loved the variation in the workouts and really enjoyed how the workouts mixed lifting – squats, deadlifts, cleans – with bodyweight exercises, running, and so on. I survived the Tough Mudder and kept coming to CrossFit because I was having fun and getting fitter. Since then I have used CrossFit as the basis for my training for other events –Tough Mudders, a marathon, a half-ironman, and a bunch of GoRuck stuff.
About two years ago my wife started doing some powerlifting with her trainer and she was making great strides in her deadlift. And I was really proud of her. But I also noticed that if I didn’t step up my game her deadlift was going to outpace mine so I reached out to Coach Mike about working out with the Strength Crew. Lately that’s where I’ve been spending most of my time, and I’ve made a lot of gains and had a great time doing it.
I travel for work and that gives me the opportunity to drop in at CrossFit gyms all over the place. I’ve had positive experiences pretty much everywhere, but it has also shown me how exceptional Mission CrossFit is. The facility is top-notch. The coaching is fantastic. The community couldn’t be better. We are all really fortunate.If there is one thing I have learned from CrossFit and Strength Crew it is that if you set goals, show up, listen to your coaches, and do the work then you make progress. I’m grateful to Coach Mike and all the coaches, the Strength Crew, the 5am folks, and everybody in the Mission CrossFit community. I’m in way better shape than I ever would have been if I hadn’t found Mission CrossFit, and I’ve met amazing people as well.

screenshot_20180507-152012

Scroll to Top
Scroll to Top